Welcome to my page

I started this blog to give you insight of things you may not know about massage. Often times I hear, "I did not know that." and now you will...

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Stretching

Yes folks, stretching is important for your muscle health!! I have read articles about how stretching at the beginning of your workout will NOT prevent injuries... but what I want to emphasize is stretch AFTER your workout... why? Because all your muscles are warmed up and can be stretched. You CANNOT stretch a cold muscle--- go ahead and try, it ain't gonna work.
I have only come across one person who doesn't believe in stretching at all... either before or after-- was thought of as "nonsense". Well that person was in really good shape... some of us aren't blessed like that. IF we sit at our desk for too long or our car or don't stretch after our workout, our muscles will let us know by the pain.
I have also come across clients who always, always stretch before their workout but never after. Those are the ones who are in the military and of course, when they are done with their PT (Physical Training) they are done and are ready to shower and get ready for work.
Not stretching gives me of course, job stability but it also brings pain to my hands because I am working that much more harder to relieve those muscles before you get off my table when you appointment ends. Massage is a process... things won't be "all better" in one 1 hour session... it can happen but more than likely it won't. More often is better--- especially if you are one of those people who don't stretch after your workout BUT again I won't recommend that to you.
So please stretch, stretch, stretch after your workout--- evening grocery shopping in our lovely commissary for an hour warrants stretching those calves after you get home!!! Seriously!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment