Welcome to my page

I started this blog to give you insight of things you may not know about massage. Often times I hear, "I did not know that." and now you will...

Friday, September 2, 2011

Mind your belt line

No, I am not talking about losing weight... I am talking about wearing a belt in general. Did you know that tight belts cause pinched nerves which then causes numbness in your leg (meralgia paresthetica)?
This past week I have noticed clients having really tight QL's (Quadratus Lumborum muscle) [lower back area or kidney area]... here's the low down on that... wearing a belt or having a tight pants on causes you to overflow your pants... the "overflow" muscles/fat tightens up when you sit in that position for a long period of time. This of course causes low back pain. I found a website that will show you how to stretch that area:
http://www.floota.com/QuadratusLumborumStretch1.html


That "overflow" will pinch muscles which in return pinch nerves. When that happens the condition is called meralgia paresthetica-- when you have numbness on the outer side of your thigh.


So before you tighten up your belt or try to squeeze into those pants... give your muscles a break and go for those elastic waist pants ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment